Friday, July 14, 2017

Begorrah

Turns out I love begonias. 
I know----I’m as surprised as you are, but let me explain. For, lo, these many years---I won’t say exactly how many, but many---I have never planted begonias, not a single one. Don’t like ‘em, I would tell you, also “eww”. Don’t ask me why, but for some reason begonias seemed like an Old Person’s Flower, something only cultivated by cranky old men in white undershirts who, when not fussing over their precious begonias, would spend the rest of their days yelling at those darn kids to stay off the grass. Or perhaps planted by soft, fluffy, grandmotherly types who could have modeled for yard art—that kind of yard art that is all backside, bent over---you know the one I mean. So yeah, Begonias are TOTALLY not me.

Except, they kind of ARE, minus the grandmotherly aspect. Begonias like shade ---I like shade. Previous summers I’ve planted Impatients in all my garden’s shady spots and been very satisfied with the results. This summer however, has been different story.

First, I was in Thailand in peak plant buying season and missed buying my usual flat of flowers. Then, when I did manage to scrounge up a few random Impatients they didn’t flourish as well as usual. After that set back some friendly, free-ranging chickens seemed to take a liking to them and thus I am now Impatient free.

As luck would have it, I was visiting a nursery with a friend who happens to be a big fan of Begonias and before you know it I had four of my own...





Followed by another six a few weeks later. Because, as it turns out, Begonias are Beautiful! They come in a rainbow of colors and foliage choices and the flower heads are HUGE and add such a vivid pop of color to dark, shady corners---there are even some varieties that tolerate more sun, and---!


Begonias. Who knew?

1 comment:

  1. I too am an impatient failure. We planted over 100 white lovelies for Matt and Chi Chi's wedding and they thrived. So I was sure we could succeed in Kent. Perfect spot saddest flowers ever. Second year, brought in new soil. Worse. This year, bare dirt. I will try begonias. Thanks, for your help Plant Lady.

    ReplyDelete