Friday, October 6, 2017

Remember Rain?

So, you might have noticed that we’ve achieved rain. Yay.

Well, Yay-ish.

We needed rain. I’m thankful we got it. Now, based on previous experience, I can’t help but wonder when –and IF—it will stop.

Yes, I know, I’m hard to please. Too hot, too dry, too little rain, too much rain, White Christmas but not in my driveway, yada yada yada.

Perhaps it would help if I made a list of all the positive things about rain?  Top Ten Things about Rain: 1) An effective dust/fire suppression system. 2) It’s refreshing. 3) Rain is Nature’s watering system. 4) Mud puddles meet yellow rubber boots. 5) Rainbows. 6) Help, I’m running out of positive thoughts. 7) Strong umbrella sales. 8) Did I already say Rainbows? 9) Valid reason to stay indoors a read a good book. Or even a mediocre book. Or Facebook. Whatever, I’m not going out in that. 10) Rainbows.

I’m confident that is the definitive list of positive things about rain, all ten of them—well, ten-ish. This is turning out to be one of the shorter things I’ve written and I blame it all on rain. It’s hardly my fault I can’t think of more nice things to say about precipitation. If there were more nice things to say about rain, trust me, I’d say them.

A friend suggested to me that I might like rain more if I thought that elk hated it, and I’ll admit the thought of elk being all glum and depressed because they were getting damp does appeal to me. I’m very vindictive like that. Still, I find it difficult to get behind that notion for two reasons: A) someone is bound to suggest a similar corollary to snow and I’m not falling for that nonsense and B) elk have often used rain as cover to defeat my scarecrow sprinklers. After all, what’s one more blast of cold water when you’re already soaked?

But, in the meantime, I DID think of One More Good Thing About Rain: 11) the sound of rain on a tin roof.

And there you have it: Rain, the Definitive List of Positive Attributes.


You’re welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment