Friday, September 5, 2014

Full Tilt Into Fall

I feel a little at sixes and sevens. The seasons, they are a changing.

If the end of summer is a headlong slide of activities and events, then we have landed with a THUMP into fall. Cool cuddled right up to Downright Chilly and, at night, flirts with Cold. Not winter cold, but it is clearly no longer summer. It's a lots of wind-gusts-and-drizzle kind of cold. Summer seems to be another country...

This week was the first day of school for local kids. All those new sweaters and corduroy will come in handy. Unlike some years where, lulled by cool mornings, kids don their new fall wardrobe only to have summer come blazing back in the afternoon. Makes for a miserable bus ride home, I can attest.

There is much to do at the Sume house and much undone. Our house painting project seems to be on hold, and I have yet to finish staining the garden arbor.

Flowerbeds need their annual thinning. Weeds could use some beating back into submission. I have a half-formed plan for one of my flower beds that involves ripping EVERYTHING out and starting anew. That may sound straight forward enough, but the bed in question is the home of a very beautiful and invasive form of bellflower that has proven over the years to scoff at my half-hearted attempts to eradicate it and only grows more vigorously.

My excuse for all these uncompleted projects? My high school BFF is visiting from D.C. and it's been a week of hanging out with old longtime friends, cooking and eating delicious things, stories and laughter and "remember that time?" There have been new friends and rediscovered friends, field trips and hikes and plenty of lounging around.
Saying "Cheese" or something...My very good reasons for procrastination.

Clearly, that leaves no room for weeding --or watering, for that matter, but with all the rain Mother Nature has seen to that little chore for me. And I'll either get around to the rest of it or come up with a brilliant excuse why I didn't. Stay tuned. 
Getting around to it...maybe

No comments:

Post a Comment