Friday, September 26, 2014

Gardening in Rain

Gardening in the rain can be very pleasant.

At least that's what I hear, I wouldn't know, I've never done it.

If I'm out in the garden and it starts to rain, I take that as a sign that God wants me to go inside and read a book.

My mom, on the other had, is made of sterner stuff.
Got rain? No problem, she has rain gear.

My mom swears that dandelions come up easier in the rain and that woman is death on dandelions. Woe be to the little innocent baby dandelion that dare to try and take root in her yard!

She has a specialty tool for the job of dandelion digging; a multi pronged thing that you jab into the ground next to an unsuspecting weed, step on the little foot peg near the bottom of the tool, and that  levers the dandelion up--viola!---the nasty thing pops right out.

Then you repeat that times infinity, in my yard anyway.

Abby and Annie don't mind dandelions,
but rain is not one of their favorite things
 
 
 
After my mom's knee surgery last year she had to take a break from her full frontal assault on dandelions, but as soon as she was able to navigate the lawn, she was out harrying them with guerilla warfare tactics. Her knee may have been unable to take on the enemy and dig him up,  but her  fingers were plenty capable of plucking their fuzzy little heads off. "If they can't bloom, they can't reproduce." she reckoned, "And at least I'm not falling farther behind."

In her on going battle against the invasive yellow peril, my mom has begun to range farther and farther afield. The other day I caught a glimpse of her in my front yard, beheading the little buggers on her way home from the mailbox.

How very clever of me to live upwind of her!


No comments:

Post a Comment