Friday, March 13, 2015

Festive Front Yard

The other day the sun was out and so was I—taking a stroll through my yard and looking at nature’s handiwork.

The grass is already starting to green up and grow, my snow drops are just finishing their peak blooming cycle and the crocuses are up as well. Right in the middle of my lawn.

It is kind of a cool look, to see there happy little purple faces shining up at me in random intervals all over the front yard and I’d like to take credit for it. But I didn’t do it. Oh sure I planted them originally…in large drifts that bordered the front flowerbed. But, over time, they have “migrated” to the middle of the front yard, in ones and twos over even larger clusters---all without the help of human hands.

I suspect chipmunks are to blame. Over time they have dug up and “stolen” my crocuses from their garden location and “hidden” them at random intervals in the front yard, to be feasted upon later. Luckily for me, the rodent’s memories are as rotten as their morals and the crocuses happily bloom in their new location. Or maybe that’s not what happened at all. Maybe there is some other rational for the phenomenon and I just watched too many episodes of Chip & Dale in my formative years.


No, I don't need to weed--that's not my flowerbed,
it's my front yard
Whatever the explanation, it certainly adds a whimsical, if somewhat wacky look to my landscaping.

No comments:

Post a Comment