Friday, January 15, 2016

Resolve This

It’s that time of year when most people have already broken most if not all of their New Year’s Resolutions.

I have not.

Made any, that is. Which I find puts me squarely in in the 100% Unbroken Resolution Camp.

I don’t like to make my resolutions so early in the New Year. I find that New Year’s resolutions made on or before January First seem to have an overly optimistic quality to them that borders on rash, if not downright reckless. I like to take my time, think things over.

It is often said that only fools rush in where angels fear to tread. I like to just poke my head in the door of a New Year, take a look around first----- before I do anything rash like
commit to “Be a Better Person” or “Work Tirelessly for World Peace” or “Stop Kitten Homelessness”.

Not that those aren’t worthy goals mind you, just that the labor involved is bound to be more than I can handle---and I already have two formerly homeless, formerly kittens so it’s not like I don’t try at all.

Resolutions that are made after the first of January seem to have more staying power. Maybe because they’re more carefully considered, maybe because you feel like you’ve gone longer without breaking them since everybody else has already quit going to the gym, gone back to smoking, and is eyeing the dessert menu before you’ve even decided on what your resolutions might be.

I’m no angel, and I try not to be too much of a fool. My resolutions are still out there—UNBROKEN---waiting for me to come choose them. And I will.


Eventually.

No comments:

Post a Comment