Friday, January 27, 2017

The Art of Self Improvement


If you are like me, you’re one of those people who loves self-improvement.

Especially where other people are concerned.

Improving other people is very rewarding; all of the great ideas---Hey! You know what you ought to do?---and none of the work. Like getting up an hour earlier to exercise, or cutting out carbohydrates, or saving for retirement, you don’t have to actually do it yourself. You just suggest that other people might benefit from such endeavors. Not ME, of course. I love to sleep in, carbs are delicious and retirement is probably over rated. Or so I hear. It was on the Internet.

Occasionally my efforts at self-improving my friends and family are met with resistance. Perhaps they don’t feel like giving up smoking this week, seem to view that collection of antique spoons less as clutter and more like a hobby, and aren’t nearly as excited as I am about slashing latte purchases off of their weekly budget. (Full disclosure: I don’t drink coffee, I’m a tea person. I’m saving a FORTUNE on not drinking coffee. You should try it. This week alone I’ve already not bought coffee at least six times. And it’s not even Wednesday. Imagine how many cups of coffee I can NOT buy by Friday! That’s a significant savings right there. You should probably try it.)

Resist as they may, I’m no quitter. I’m not easily discouraged by their reluctance to make small little steps to improving their lives. I’ll often suggest a book they should read, a technique they could implement, a point of view they could embrace. And, I’ll happily remind them. Often. Because . . . I really want the best for them.


And I am happy to tell them what that is.

No comments:

Post a Comment