Friday, February 17, 2017

By the Letter S

Look! See the green?
Yesterday, the sun was out, the breeze was mild---actually, the breeze had moments when it wasn’t mild, it was flat-out WARM. That combination, working together, was so powerful that the snow that has covered my yard since late November actually began to melt away.

Let that sink in for a moment, savor it. The snow, MELTING. Grass, I have GREEN grass under all that snow. Who knew?! It is a marvel.

Snow, as you are probably aware, is a four letter word, the “S” word, if you will. I’m not completely anti-snow, I favor snow---in its proper place (the mountains) at the proper time (yay for a white Christmas!) and in the proper amounts (enough to cover my grass, but not enough that I need to shovel it out of my drive way.) Clearly, this year the snowfall was out of compliance with these very reasonable guidelines. I haven’t seen the grass in my back yard since last year; December 3 to be exact. And in my backyard I still have a solid sheet of white, the sun has yet to work its magic back there.
Remember Summer?
Yeah, me either...

The sun has encouraged my snow drops to finally poke their little tender blooms above the earth and I’m happily looking on line for bare root trees and in seed catalogues for my next new favorite plant. The sunshine grows optimism in my soul.

Tra-la-lah, all is coming up---well, eventually—roses. That is until I look at the weather app on my phone to see how long this weather will last...





Snowflakes. In the forecast.


Four letter S-word, four letter S-word, four letter S-word.

Here’s another four letter S-word for you, Mother Nature:

15 inches....
S T O P.

No comments:

Post a Comment