Friday, February 3, 2017

Math Apology

I owe Math an apology.

Math has never been my native tongue, and---tongue in cheek---I have, for years, mocked math; laughing at the punch line “how many pancakes will fit on a roof?” And “Then the devil said, ‘Let’s put the alphabet in Math!’” All very fine jokes, all very funny. (As long as you remember to carry the one.)

But--turns out--Math is important. Math is found in Poetry and in Art; in meter, in symmetry and proportion. Math has its own beautiful language— “algorithm” for example: “a procedure or formula for solving a problem.” Who wouldn’t want a problem solving formula? A Formula 410, if you will. I’ll take a case, please.

Words have always been my preferred language. And I lift my words now, in support of Math.  And History. And Music and Art and Science; Science that can explain to us some of the beauty and mystery of life. Science does not take away the mystery of Creation, it enhances our appreciation of its miracle. Science matters.

Math matters. History matters. Music matters. Art matters. Words matter. Education matters.

Today I lift my words in appreciation of education---yes, even you, Algebra. And I will vote YES for these things; YES for Education, YES for schools. Because schools matter. Children matter.


Dear Math, I hope you can forgive me. I’d like to be friends. I’m voting YES.

No comments:

Post a Comment