Friday, October 14, 2016

For the Good of the Order

I attempted to bring order to chaos this week. 

After becoming totally obsessed with the political landscape recently and spending waaaay too much time on the internet, “gently reasoning” with friends and strangers alike---I’ve decided that maybe we aren’t all going to join hands and sing Kumbahya any time soon and perhaps I need to get my own house in order first. 

But the sun was shining and so I decided to get my lawn and gardens in order first. Gardens, then House, then World Peace, in that order.

There are plenty of chores to do outside in the fall; raking leaves---but more will just fall, rolling up hoses---but it’s best to have a sunny day for that as soft, warm hoses roll up tidier than cold, stiff ones. Cutting back spent perennials ---unless you’re lazy like me and believe that the sharp, dead, dry stalks of phlox will poke rabidly foraging elk right in their tender little noses, thereby discouraging them.

As I said, there are plenty of chores to postpone in the garden. 

I ended up spending the afternoon wandering around in my yard, picking up sprinklers and watering wands and scarecrow sprinklers--- that stopped scaring the elk sometime back in early August---and putting them away. One task done.

Meanwhile, back indoors my baseboard trim was being professionally installed. Another task done.

Then my sweet neighbor was going for a walk with her daughter and granddaughter and Dog Friday, so I joined them. We might not have solved all the world’s problems during our stroll, but we enjoyed each other’s company and the sun was warm on our shoulders.

And sometimes? That’s good enough.

PS---look what I found in my wildflower bed!

1 comment: