Friday, June 16, 2017

Temples and Shrines and Such


Thailand is the called the Land of Smiles and while that is true, it could also be called Land of a Bazillion Shrines---sometimes three to a block. We toured shrines and temples in both Bangkok and Chiang Mai---although I confess I cannot tell a temple from a shrine. Are shrines the ones with the statues of Buddha? Do temples have Buddahs? Should I have taken notes?





Who knows the answers to these questions? Probably the very reason people speak of religion as being full of Mystery. Or maybe not. Anyway, that’s not my point.

My point is this: no matter how different the peoples of the world seem to be, how different their customs and beliefs are different from my own, we are all more alike than we are different.

I was raised in a very understated, mostly unadorned church. Most of the shrines—or temples-- I saw were incredible works of art: mirrored mosaics, hand painted tiles, gilt and gilding and decorations galore. Even the more modest buildings had intricate carvings and exquisite details. So, in that aspect, it was quite different---stained glass windows aside-- from the churches I’m used to.




Worship style---at least on the surface—seemed different as well. In Thailand, you remove your shoes at the door and many worshipers approached on their knees before prostrating themselves on the floor, making a low, humble ‘Wai phra’ as a sign of respect. I saw a mother teaching her very young son the proper way to fold his tiny hands in front of his face, then bowing three times, flattening his hands on the floor with each bow. Nearby, his two brothers---probably between 4 and 6 years old, were performing their own ‘wai phra’ with great enthusiasm. So much enthusiasm, in fact, that it began to resemble a game of Leap Frog more than sedate, adult worship. After they completed their offering, the mother broke out a collection of small trucks and Thomas the Tank Engine to keep the boys occupied as she finished her own prayers. I had to smile in recognition as, from my own experience, they were only a baggie full of Cheerios away from being a Sunday morning in a Presbyterian Church.


Some things, like smiles and small boys, seem to be Universal.

No comments:

Post a Comment