Friday, April 27, 2018

Mow Better


Lately, I have had the opportunity to reflect on the differences between riding lawn mowers and push mowers and I have come to the well-researched conclusion that riding lawn mowers are far superior in nearly every category. Shall I count the ways?

1)      My riding lawn mower has a gas tank with a capacity large enough that I can mow my entire three acres without once needing to refuel. My push mower, on the other hand, seems to have a gas tank that holds exactly half a teaspoon. This means I get to enjoy the challenge of refueling a tiny little tank with a five-gallon gas can. And I get to enjoy it often.
2)      My riding mower cuts a swath thru the grass that is 46” wide. My push mower cuts a 22” path. It doesn’t take a degree in advanced Mathematics to know that 46” >22”. Much greater. Even accounting for the difference in speed, on my riding mower I could finish my lawn in half the time. WHILE SEATED. Which leads me to:
3)      A place to sit down. My riding mower has one. My push mower seems not to; a poor design if you ask me.
4)     Baggers: both have one, but the riding mower has TWO. And I can DRIVE it to the grass-clipping compost area instead of CARRY it.
5)      Price. Ok, you got me there. And even if I bought two push mowers it would still be cheaper than my rider. Score one for the push mower.
6)     Cup holders. The riding mower has one, the push mower does not. Clearly, the riding mower is far more civilized. Driving around in the sunshine with and iced tea in the cup holder...does it get any better than that?
7)     Ditto headlights. Which is odd, really, because as long as it takes me to mow my yard with the push mower you’d think it would come equipped for that round-the-clock capability.
8)     A cubbyhole/glove box. I don’t really use it, but I’m sure it’s very handy to have when I need it. Could also double as a second cup holder.
9)     Did I mention the cushy, comfortable seat? For sitting?
I’d like to continue this list extoling the virtues of my riding mower over the push mower, but—speaking of continuing-- the sun continues to shine and the grass continues to grow. This time of the season my grass is growing so quickly I find myself in a continuous mowing cycle. At an impressive 22” wide swath. Because the push mower? It STARTS.

No comments:

Post a Comment