Friday, April 13, 2018

SUN


The sun was out. I hope you didn’t miss it.

By my count we have had three days of sun *already* this April! So far, for each of the three days, I have completed the following:

Day ONE) Rush outside to greet the sun. Begin winter, er pre-spring, er early spring cleanup of flower beds. Shed layers of clothing because SUN. Complete half of to-do list before losing focus and wandering off for a walk, because SUN.

 Day TWO) show up to work late because SUN. Complain while at work about being inside, BECAUSE SUN AND I’M PRETTY SURE OUR MOTHERS WOULD WANT US TO GO PLAY OUTSIDE. Yes, I know that’s not my inside voice, but SUN! SUN!! Go home from work and go for a walk.

Day THREE) ---wait, before we go on---I’m pretty sure I don’t have to tell my fellow western Washingtonians that the three days of sun in April have not been consecutive. Perhaps if you abide elsewhere you might not be aware of this phenomenon, but April sunshine is a rare and beautiful thing and those days hardly ever happen back-to-back.


Where was I?

Day THREE) Go outside wearing fewer layers. Decide to mow grass. Remember riding mower is buried deep in the garage, blocked in by the push-mower and a bunch of junk you were going to take to the thrift store “sometime” over the winter MONTHS before it would ever impede your need to easily access the riding mower. Get push-mower out. Fill it with gas. Start it (YAY!) Mow tiny side yard. Mow larger side yard. Remove last spare layer. Decide maybe it might be worth moving the thrift store stuff to get the riding mower out after all. Optimistically return to garage. Survey situation. Decide to see if the mower will start BEFORE you go to all the work of clearing a path—I must say, this was a masterful stroke of genius on my part. It left me so much more time to close the garage and go for a walk.

In the SUN.

No comments:

Post a Comment