Monday, November 14, 2016

Sound and Fury


We live in interesting times, there is no doubt about it. As I write this, votes are being cast across the country, votes that will decide who assumes the awe-inspiring responsibility of POTUS. As you read this, the outcome---with any luck---has already been decided and you know more than I know at this point. Pretty sure that history is being made, either way, and that past barriers are being broken; perhaps we as a nation have gone in a different political direction or perhaps we as a nation are finally shattering the glass ceiling. I will hasten to add that incase y’all got together and more than two of you wrote down MY name in an effort to bring a Political Outsider and a Woman into one candidate---alas! I shall have to humbly decline. My anti-elk policies are too well known and would alienate all those who prefer their elk NOT covered in gravy. And I feel too strongly about this important issue to compromise. It is my unwillingness to work co-operatively on this important issue that makes me unfit for office. Well, that and the fact that I am geographically challenged. And balancing the budget would make me cranky. And I am too easily distracted by cat videos on the Internet. And---well, enough about me.

 So, votes have been cast, history has been made. Anybody besides me really miss going into the polls in person and casting your ballot on Election Day? I get that mail-in ballots are cheaper, and I do like having the time to sit with my ballot and my voter’s pamphlet and fill in the little boxes, but there was just something special about ‘The Way It Used To Be’. Standing in line at the Senior Citizens Hall, being greeted by the little old ladies behind the table. No need for voter ID in Packwood, they not only know me on sight, they would often chide me for being the last one in my linage to vote. My favorite part always came at the end---being given the “I Voted” sticker...


Well, that and the Bake Sale cookies...Ah, the good old days!

No comments:

Post a Comment