Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Weather Talk 2.0

Did you see the sun the other day? It was glorious. There’s nothing like getting a taste of good weather to make me want more of it. The minute the sun comes out in the spring all I want to do is go outside and play. Fortunately for me, there are plenty of outside chores for me to do.

The ridiculous amounts of snow my landscaping received have sculpted my hedge into pancakes and attempted to turn some of my trees into poles. The result of all that is I have a plethora of branches awaiting removal to the burn pile.

Is there anything better than cleaning up winter debris and then getting to set it on fire? Except maybe getting to poke the resulting fire with a stick? I can’t think of anything I’d rather do early spring than work all day and then set fire to my labors as the day chills. And if there is a hot dog, a roasting stick and a few marshmallows hanging around, so much the better!

Because I’m a grown-up---or at least a reasonable facsimile of one—I feel honor bound right now to make a general statement regarding fire safety, country burn regulations, wind conditions and neighborhood relations. Please take all of these things into consideration before torching off your burn pile. Because, if your neighbors are taking advantage of the sunny day to dry their laundry on the line, they’d probably appreciate it smelling like “Spring” and not “Camping.” Or so I’ve heard.


I personally think “campfire” is a lovely scent, one of my favorites. Especially if it carries just a hint of marshmallow, with perhaps a top note of tent and summer nights...but some people have no taste when it comes to appreciating the finer things in life. So I try to stay downwind and not judge. More marshmallows for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment